< 258 | Home | 264 | 264 Bus | 270 >
Photo: US 264-A in Middlesex (Mapmikey)
|U.S. 264-A 66 miles|
Present US 264-A is actually a fusing of the 5th and 6th US 264-A routes.
In Feb 2003 (NCDOT), US 264-A was extended east through Wilson, replacing US 264, and connecting with US 264-A #6 (see evolution of this US 264-A below), combining the two routes.
US 264-A one big long alternate
Now a look at the decommissioned US 264-A routes:
The 1st US 264-A appeared about 1947 as the route through Wilson when US 264 was sent around the south and east of town.
In 1956 or 1957, US 264 was rerouted onto the new Wilson bypass, resulting in an extended US 264-A.
In 1960, US 264-A was renumbered as US 264 Business. Today it is unnumbered.
The 2nd US 264-A was created in 1955 when US 264 was given a bypass south of Farmville.
In 1988, US 264-A east of NC 121 became secondary while west of NC 121 became part of NC 121.
US 264-A #2 eliminated in Farmville; US 264-A #6 Greenville westward is created.
The 3rd US 264-A was created between 1954-57 when US 264 was given its bypass north around Belhaven. The 1957 Beaufort County map shows but does not label the route. Note in the scan that other secondary roads are shown subdued while primary routes are still bold within corporate limits.
In 1960, US 264-A was renumbered as US 264 Business which it remains today.
The 4th US 264-A appeared in 1956 or 1957 when US 264 was given its bypass south around Greenville.
In 1960, US 264-A was renumbered as US 264 Business. Today it is a little US 13 but otherwise just Dickinson and 10th Sts in Greenville.