The Highways of North Carolina
U.S. 70 Business 
< 64 | Home | 70 | 70-A | 74 >
Photo: US 70 Business heading towards Kinston. (Mapmikey)
US 70 Bus
U.S. 70 Business  8 active segments
The Roads:

The oldest active US 70 Business was born in 1960 as a replacement for US 70-A through Hillsborough and is the 1st US 70 Business. It runs on Revere Rd/Corbin St, then south along NC 86 Church St, then east out of town.

1949 Orange COunty
US 70-A #10 through Hillsborough
1949 Orange County
1962 Orange COunty
US 70 Business through Hillsborough
1962 Orange County

The 2nd US 70 Business was created 1960 as a renumbering of US 70-A through Durham. It initially used Hillsborough Rd, 9th St, Main St, Duke St, Chapel Hill St, Pettigrew St, Roxboro Rd (EB)/Magnum St (WB), Holloway Rd, and Miami Blvd.

1958 Official
US 70-A in Durham only
1958 Official
1960 Official
US 70-A becomes US 70 Business
1960 Official

In 1981, US 70 Bus was put on one-way splits with EB using Gregson and WB using Duke St between Main and Pettigrew.
Between 1985-87, US 70 Bus was rerouted to its current configuration using Morgan St WB and Main St/Downtown Loop/Ramseur St/Roxboro St EB.
Between 1991-93, US 70 Business was extended west over more US 70 to I-85 Exit 170.

1981-82 Official
US 70 Business rerouted in Durham
1981-82 Official
1990-91 Official
US 70 Business using Downtown Loop
1990-91 Official
1993-94 Official
US 70 Bus extended west of Durham
1993-94 Official

The 5th US 70 Business was created in 1960 as a renumbering of US 70-A through Goldsboro. It uses Ash St, George St and Grantham St.

1957 Wayne County
US 70-A through Goldsboro
1957 Wayne County
1962 Wayne County
US 70 Business through Goldsboro
1962 Wayne County

The The 6th US 70 Business was created in 1960 as a renumbering of US 70-A through Kinston. It uses W. Vernon Ave and S. Queen St through town. It is 100% duplexed with US 258 Business.

1957 Lenoir County
US 70-A through Kinston
1957 Lenoir County
1962 Lenoir County
US 70 Business through Kinston
1962 Lenoir County

The 7th US 70 Business was created about 1960 as a renumbering of mainline US 25-70 through Marshall. The eastern end was at today's NC 251.
In 1981, US 25-70 Business was extended east along what was now NC 251, then east replacing SR 1586 to the new US 25-70.
US 25-70 Business uses Jerry Allen Dr, Main St and Mashburn Hill Rd within Marshall.

1959 Official
US 25-70 through Marshall
1960 Official
US 25-70 Business in Marshall
1982-83 Official
US 25-70 business extended east to new US 25-70

The 8th US 70 Business was created about 1960 as what had been a few years prior mainline US 70 through Morganton. 1957 Burke County map showed route as non-primary.
Between 1969-72, US 70 Bus was split into one-way alignments. EB used Meeting St while WB used Union St.

1962 Burke County
US 70 Business in Morganton
1962 Burke County
1982 Burke County
US 70 Business spilts route
1982 Burke County

The 11th US 70 Business was created in 1991 or 1992 as a renumbering of mainline US 70 through Smithfield.
In June 2008 (NCDOT), US 70 Business was extended west over mainline 70 through Clayton to end at I-40 EXIT 306 near Garner.

1972 Official
US 70 through Smithfield
1972 Official
1992-93 Official
US 70 Business through Smithfield
1992-93 Official
2009 Official
US 70 Business through Clayton
2009 Official

The 12th US 70 Business was created July 1997 (NCDOT) as a renumbering of mainline US 70 through Selma.
It is signed in the field as US 70 with no banner.
1999 Official
US 70 Business through Selma
1999 Official

Now a chronological look at 4 decommissioned US 70 Business routes:

The 3rd US 70 Business was was born in 1960 as a renumbering of US 70-A through Lexington. It used Main St through town, following the route of original NC 10.
In Sept 2003 (NCDOT), US 70 Bus was decommisioned. Part of Main St west of town is now part of NC 8.

1952 Shell
US 70-A through Lexington
1952 Shell
1962 Davidson County
US 70 Bus in Lexington
1962 Davidson County

The 4th US 70 Business was born 1960 as a renumbering of US 29-A through Thomasville. It used Main St and Turner Rd, following the route of original NC 10.
It appears US 70 Bus was decommissioned by 1962.

The 9th US 70 Business was created about 1978 as a renumbering of mainline US 70 through New Bern. It began at Milburnie Rd and used Neuse Blvd, Broad St and E. Front St across the Trent River.
In 1979, US 70 Bus was extended over Milburnie Rd (which had briefly been mainline 70) south to the US 70 freeway.
In May 2000 (NCDOT), US 70 Bus was removed from Neuse Blvd (remained NC 55) and instead replaced US 17 southwest to the US 70 freeway.
In 2010, US 70 Business was decommissioned. A bit of Broad St remains part of NC 55 but the rest is currently unnumbered.

1978-79 Official
US 70 bypasses New Bern
1978-79 Official
1979-80 Official
US 70 Bus moved to Milburnie
1979-80 Official
2002 Official
US 70 Bus replaces US 17
2002 Official

The 10th US 70 Business was created Nov 1979 (NCDOT) as a renumbering of mainline US 70 on Wilmington St and part of the Raleigh Beltline.
US 70 Business was removed from the beltline and restored to mainline US 70 on the Wilmington St portion in July 1991 (NCDOT).
1984-85 Official
US 70 onto Beltline
1984-85 Official
1990-91 Official
US 70 Business on Wilmington St and a little Beltline
1990-91 Official
1992 Official
US 70 Business removed
1992 Official


Last Update: 14 February 2016

Previous: U.S. 64  |  Next: U.S. 70 | U.S. 70-A | U.S. 74
Top  |  NCRoads.com Home ------------------------------------------------