VA 392
< VA 391 | Home | VA 393 >
VA 392
Photo: SR 707 NB at VA 392 (photo by Mapmikey, May 2014)
From: Woodlawn (Carroll County)
To: Southwestern Virginia Training Center (Carroll County)
Total Length: 1.05 miles  
ROUTE LOG
SR 707: 0 - 0
VA 392: 0.10 - 0.10
VA 392: 0.95 - 1.05
Creation:  SVTC opened in 1976 and this is the 2nd VA 392.
Adjustments:  None
Improvements:  Paved since inception; no multilane segments
Posted:  VA 392 was fully posted in both directions on SR 707 until 2007. It is now only posted on SR 707 NB
There have been TO VA 392 shields in both directions on nearby US 58-221 since at least 1993.
Multiplexes:  None
Legislative names:  None
Other names:  Harrison Circle
Scenic Byway:  No segments
Comment:  The road is a loop around the facility that ends at itself just east of SR 707.
This facility closed in August 2018.
VA 392 (1995 Carroll County)
VA 392
1995 Carroll County
Previous VA 392's:

1928 ROUTE LOG
SCL Wakefield: 0 - 0
VA 10: 15 - 15
GAP IN ROUTE
Jamestown Ferry: 0 - 15
US 60, VA 39: 5 - 20
VA 392 #1: Appeared in Oct 1923 (CTB) as a renumbering of VA 9 SPUR running from VA 39 (now just Richmond Rd) Williamsburg south via today's Jamestown Rd, Mill Neck Rd (no longer connects to), SR 617, SR 618, SR 682, west along today's Colonial Pkwy, then cut south at the parking area to a causeway (still visible on Google Earth) and crossed Thoroughfare Creek onto Jamestown Island to meet the ferry in the area of the historic settlement.

VA 9 SPUR (1922 Auto Trails)
VA 9 SPUR from Jamestown to Williamsburg
1922 Auto Trails
VA 392 (1924 Official)
VA 392 from Jamestown to Williamsburg
1924 Official

In mid-1926, a separate piece of VA 392 was assigned to what had been put into the system as VA 351 from Dendron through Wakefield to its SCL (current SR 628-620 jct). This piece was not connected to any other part of the highway system.
In 1925 (per Wikipedia), the ferry from Jamestown to Scotland was established as a private enterprise. The Jamestown wharf was on Jamestown Island at that time.
About 1927, VA 392 was rerouted to use today's VA 5 and 31 directly to SR 682.
In March 1927 (CTB), VA 392 was extended from Dendron to VA 10 Surry C.H.
In March 1928 (CTB), a permit was granted to Eastern Virginia Bridge Company to build a toll bridge between Scotland Wharf and Jamestown Island.
In Aug 1928, both pieces of VA 392 were renumbered as VA 510. Today the southern piece is VA 31 and a liitle SR 628.

VA 392 (1926 Official)
VA 392 alone in Sussex County
1926 Official
VA 392 (1927 Official)
VA 392 connected to VA 10
Also note the distance from Jamestown to Williamsburg dropped
1927 Official
1929 Official
VA 510 replaces VA 392 from Jamestown to Williamsburg
1929 Official


Previous: VA 391  |  Next: VA 393
Top  |  Virginia Hwy Index Home

Page last modified 19 October 2019