< SC 18 | Home | SC 19 ALT | SC 19 Bus | SC 20 >
US 278: 0 - 0
SC 118, SC 302: 9.6 - 9.6
US 1 NB, US 78 EB: 2.7 - 12.3
US 1 SB, US 78 WB: 0.2 - 12.5
SC 118: 1.4 - 13.9
I-20 (exit 18): 4.4 - 18.3
SC 191 SB: 0.9 - 19.2
SC 191 NB: 3.1 - 22.3
Edgefield-Aiken Line: 2.0 - 24.3
US 25, SC 121: 4.3 - 28.6
Creation: An original state route that originally ran from SC 2 (now US 76) Newberry heading north through Whitmire, Union, and Spartanburg before entering North Carolina below Tryon NC. This is the only SC 19. There is some evidence that SC 2 was using S-36-368 and S-38-56 Bush River Rd from Gary to Newberry via Helena, so SC 19 may have initially ended much closer to Downtown Newberry.
Adjustments: In 1923, SC 19 was extended south with SC 22 to Silverstreet, then as new primary routing through Saluda and Johnston before ending at SC 21-27 (now US 25-SC 19) Trenton.
In 1928, SC 19 was extended southeast over SC 27 to US 1-78 (now S-2-3) Aiken. SC 19 north was truncated to US 76/SC 2 (now Main St/College St) in downtown Newberry. The entirety of the route to North Carolina became US 176. Today this is S-36-642 College St; SC 121 to Whitmire; US 176 to Union except: Hodges Rd loop; Old US 176 at the Tyger River; Mt. Vernon Rd; S-44-524 Hebron Church Rd; SC 18 through Union; US 176-215 CONN; SC 215 to Pauline (probably used S-44-40 throguh Buffalo); SC 56 into Spartanburg; Magnolia St/Howard St/SC 56; US 176 to North Carolina except Old John Dodd Rd; S-42-11 through Campton and Inman; SC 292; S-42-13; S-42-866 between Gramling and Campobello; Old Asheville Hwy north of Campobello; Peach St/S-42-924/S-42-480 south of Landrum.
In 1929, SC 19 was extended south as new primary routing to end at SC 28 (now SC 125) near Ellenton.
In 1932, SC 19 was removed from Salters Pond Rd north of Trenton and put on Reynolds Dr which no longer crosses the railroad back to current SC 121.
In 1939, SC 19 was removed from S-2-447 Old Whiskey Rd through what is now New Ellenton; also Medwell Hill Rd and S-2-816 Chime Bell Church Rd north of New Ellenton.
In 1951, SC 19 was re-extended north out of Newberry along US 76 then replaced US 176 north to today's US 176/SC 121 junction well south of Whitmire.
In late 1952, SC 19 south was truncated to SC 28 (now US 278) below New Ellenton. The old route to Ellenton became SRS Route 2.
In 1956, SC 19 was placed on a newly constructed bypass around the west of Newberry, leaving behind SC 19 Business (now this is a little SC 34, S-36-90 Boundary St, and S-36-642 College St).
In 1964, SC 19 north was truncated to US 25/SC 121 Trenton, with the route being replaced by SC 121.
Improvements: SC 19 was paved only from Pauline to a little north of Spartanburg by 1926.
In 1927, SC 19 was paved from the North Carolina line to Spartanburg and from Buffalo to Union.
In 1930, SC 19 was paved from Aiken north a few miles.
In 1932, SC 19 was paved from Trenotn to Johnston and from Silverstreet to Newberry.
In 1933, SC 19 was paved from Johnston to Silverstreet.
In 1934 or 1935, SC 19 was paved from Aiken to Trenton.
In 1939, SC 19 became fully paved when it was surfaced from Ellenton to Aiken.
SC 19 was multilaned from Aiken to the Savannah River Site in 1952.
Comment: SC 19 is the location of New Ellenton, which was created when the US Government created the Savannah River Plant. The town of Ellenton, near where SC 19 used to end at today's SC 125 was abandoned and resettled at New Ellenton.
There is a posted SC 19 TRUCK route that runs along SC 118 around the west side of Aiken.
The oldest cloverleaf interchange in South Carolina is within the grounds of the Savannah River Site along what used to be SC 19.
Page last modified 14 May 2016