SC 46
< SC 45 | Home | SC 46 ALT | SC 46-Y | SC 47 >
From: Hardeeville (Jasper County)
To: Bluffton (Beaufort County)
Total Length: 17.4 miles  
ROUTE LOG
US 321: 0 - 0
US 17: 0.4 - 0.4
SC 170 WB: 5.2 - 5.6
Beaufort-Jasper Line: 0.6 - 6.2
SC 170 EB: 2.0 - 8.2
US 278: 9.2 - 17.4
Creation: Appeared in 1939 as a renumbering of SC 33 from Hardeeville through Bluffton to Brighton Beach. This is the 2nd SC 46.

1938 Official
SC 33 east of Hardeeville
1938 Official
1939 Official
SC 49 replaces SC 33 east of Hardeeville
1939 Official

Adjustments:
In 1947, SC 46 was extended west replacing SC 5 ALT from US 17 to SC 5 (now US 321).
In 1956, SC 46 was rerouted at Bluffton to replace SC 462 north 2 miles, then replaced S-7-39 east to the Hilton Head Ferry, then replaced S-7-44 on Hilton Head Island to end at S-7-80 Forest Beach. The old route to Brighton became S-7-11 (now S-7-66) and S-7-13.
In 1957, SC 46 was moved to the new bridge to Hilton Head Island, leaving behind S-7-242 Fording Island Rd and S-7-298 Jenkins Rd.
In 1965, SC 46 east was truncated to its current end, with US 278 heading to Hilton Head and Forest Beach instead.

1956 Official
SC 46 extended to Hilton Head
1956 Official
1965 Official
US 278 replaces SC 46 out to Hilton Head
1965 Official

Note that between 1963-66 the primary highway on Hilton Head Island was removed from today's S-7-44. It is not clear it the route was SC 46 or US 278 at that time.

1963 Beaufort County
Highway using today's S-7-44
1963 Beaufort County
1966 Beaufort County
Highway removed from S-7-44
1966 Beaufort County

Improvements: SC 46 was paved upon designation; no multilane segments.
Comment: SC 46 serves as a back way to get to Hilton Head Island, although prior to the new US 278 routing east of Hardeeville SC 46 was part of the primary way to reach the resort from the south.
SC 46 is blown off by I-95, although a frontage road was built between US 17-321 and SC 46.
Note SC 46 did not go to oceanfront at Forest Beach per all county maps, despite the state officials suggesting it did.

Previous SC 46's:

1938 ROUTE LOG
SC 45: 0 - 0
SC 311: 18 - 18
SC 64: 8 - 26
US 52: 1 - 27
SC 46 #1: Appeared about 1923 as new primary routing, running from SC 45 (now S-38-137/138 jct) near Eutawville southeast to SC 41 (now US 52) Moncks Corner.
Between 1927-29, SC 46 was removed from today's S-38-138 and placed on current SC 6 from the Berkeley line westward.
In 1939, SC 46 was renumbered as part of SC 6. Today, Lake Moultrie occupies a large part of old SC 46. The surviving segments are: easternmost 2 miles of SC 6; S-8-5 into Pinopolis; SC 6 west of S-8-132 in the Cross area.

1923 Auto Trails
SC 46 #1
1923 Auto Trails
1939 Official
SC 6 replaces SC 46
1939 Official


Previous: SC 45  |  Next: SC 46 ALT | SC 46-Y | SC 47
Top  |  South Carolina Hwy Index Home

Page last modified 20 January 2016