SC 26 
< SC 25 | Home | SC 27 >

 
SC 26  not currently assigned
Previous SC 26's:

1932 ROUTE LOG
SC 40, SC 49: 0 - 0
SC 511: 19 - 19
SC 261: 17 - 36
US 17 NB, SC 175: 6 - 42
US 17 SB: 3 - 45
SC 261: 18 - 63
SC 4 WB: 3 - 66
SC 4 EB: 3 - 69
SC 30 SB: 15 - 84
US 76 EB, SC 30 NB, SC 763: 2 - 86
US 76 WB: 3 - 89
US 1, SC 34: 27 - 116
SC 97: 2 - 118
SC 341: 19 - 137
SC 265: 1 - 138
SC 9, SC 93 SB: 18 - 156
SC 93 NB: 1 - 157
SC 12: 14 - 171
SC 211: 8 - 179
NC STATE LINE: 1 - 180


1949 ROUTE LOG
US 21 SB, US 178 EB, US 301: 0 - 0
US 21 NB, US 178 WB: 1.0 - 1.0
Calhoun-Orangeburg Line: 7.3 - 8.3
SC 31: 2.9 - 11.2
SC 6: 1.9 - 13.1
SC 267: 7.4 - 20.5
SC 419: 1.4 - 21.9
Richland-Calhoun Line: 2.0 - 23.9
SC 48: 3.9 - 27.8
SC 764: 4.3 - 32.1
SC 263: 2.6 - 34.7
US 76: 2.8 - 37.5
SC 262: 5.0 - 42.5
Kershaw-Richland Line: 5.1 - 47.6
SC 12: 7.4 - 55.0
US 1: 2.5 - 57.5
SC 26 #1: An original state highway that ran from SC 40-49 (now US 17-521) Georgetown to Kingstree (via Rhems), Manning, Sumter, Camden, Kershaw, and Lancaster before heading into North Carolina towards Pineville.

1922 Auto Trails
SC 26 from Sumter through Lancaster to North Carolina
1922 Auto Trails
1922 Auto Trails
SC 26 from Sumter to Georgetown
1922 Auto Trails

In 1925 or 1926, SC 26 south was truncated to SC 41 (now S-45-8) Kingstree. The route to Georgetown became secondary except for the first few miles out of Georgetown which remained SC 40 (now US 701). Today the route via Rhems appears to have been SC 51, unpaved Rhems Rd, S-45-42, S-45-383, SC 527, SC 377-527 CONN, SC 377, and SC 261.
In 1928, SC 26 was re-extended replacing SC 412 and SC 44 through Andrews to again end in Georgetown.

1926 Official
SC 26 truncated to Kingstree
1926 Official
1930 Official
SC 26 replaces SC 44 back to Georgetown
1930 Official

About 1929, SC 26 was removed from today's S-29-378 and abandoned routing north to where US 521 and S-29-125 meet today - this means SC 26 went briefly into North Carolina and actually intersected with NC 25, which moved to today's NC 75 location when SC 26 was shifted west.
Also, if SC 26 ever used S-29-284 between Heath Springs and Elgin it stopped doing so by 1929 or thereabouts.
In 1933, SC 26 was renumbered in its entirety as US 521. It is still US 521 except: US 521 Business through Andrews; SC 377 into Kingstree; abandoned causeway across the Black River; SC 261 to Manning; US 301 CONN through Alcolu; S-14-401 north of Alcolu; S-43-1496 and S-43-152 into Sumter; SC 763 and US 76 Business out of Sumter; S-43-1342 through Dalzell; S-43-2/S-28-2/SC 261 in the Boykin area; US 521 Bus and S-29-2 through Lancaster.

1933 Official
US 521 replaces SC 26 north of Sumter
1933 Official
1933 Official
US 521 replaces SC 26 south of Sumter, too.
1933 Official

SC 26 #2: Appeared in 1935 as a renumbering of SC 52, running from US 21 (now US 21-176 jct) St. Matthews north through Eastover to end at US 76 near the Wateree River.
In 1936 or 1937, SC 26 was placed on new routing to bypass Eastover, then take a more direct route to US 76, then continued as more new primary routing to end at US 1 Lugoff. The old route through Eastover and northeast to US 76 became SC 263.
In 1940, SC 26 was sraightened out in its southern approach to Richland County leaving behind what is now part of S-27-47

1938 Kershaw County
SC 26 indirect routing into Richland Co
1938 Kershaw County
1942 Kershaw County
SC 26 straightened routing into Richland Co
1942 Kershaw County

About 1948, SC 26 was given a new crossing of the Congaree River including a substantial new approaches on both sides. The approaches were shown as unnumbered primary routes as early as 1942. The old approaches to the river became what is now S-9-151; unnumbered dirt road to the former Congaree River Bridge location; abandoned causeway south of Little Creek north of the Congaree;

1943 Calhoun County
SC 26 original Congaree River crossing
1943 Calhoun County
1950 Calhoun County
SC 26 modern Congaree River crossing
1950 Calhoun County

In 1950, SC 26 was extended south replacing US 21 to end at US 301 (now SC 33) Orangeburg.
In 1951, SC 26 was renumbered as part of US 601.

1930 Official
SC 52 from US 21 to US 76
1930 Official
1935 Official
SC 52 replaced by SC 26
1935 Official
1938 Official
SC 26 extended north to US 1
1938 Official
1950 Official
SC 26 replaces US 21 to Orangeburg
1950 Official
1951 Official
SC 26 replaced by US 601
1951 Official


Previous: SC 25  |  Next: SC 27
Top  |  South Carolina Hwy Index Home

Page last modified 27 March 2016